Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Burma Burma @ Cyberhub, Gurgaon

The day started with beautiful light drizzle in the morning and a downpour that looked lovely from the windows of my air conditioned office. It seemed like a nice day to step out for lunch and that gave me the perfect opportunity to check out the new restaurant in Cyberhub, Gurgaon, Burma Burma.

A quick research prior to my colleague and me embarking on our food quest brought a surprise...Burma Burma serves only vegetarian food. To hardcore non-vegetarians like my colleague and myself, ordering vegetarian-only meal outside is a deal-breaker...usually.

This time, however, our curiosity got the better of us and we decided that we would go with an open mind and no high expectations.

This is what we walked up to:

I had always been curious about the ambiance and I must say that I loved what they have done with the space.


Here's another view of the interiors.


It certainly made us strangely happy to see our table graced by the clear teapot.


Coming to the food, we ordered the Raw Mango Salad, which was amazing in the way the sweet and sour and tangy hit our senses. The closest thing I could relate it to was our good ol' bhelpuri but so much better! 

We also got brave and ordered the tamarind-coconut mocktail, which took a few precarious minutes to settle on our palates. However, perhaps paired with the raw mango salad, the overall tanginess was a bit much.

The next to follow was the soft steamed buns with brown onion and chilli paste, which was slightly sweet rather than hot or spicy. Nonetheless, we loved it!



The third dish we ordered was coconut rice with spicy peanut sauce. This dish, sadly, disappointed us for 2 reasons. One, the flavors were strangely bland and, second, I chomped on a tiny piece of stone. Yes, stone. I brought it to the attention of our server who promptly took away the "sample" and came back back with,"the chef says it's a piece of raw rice." I'm not sure if they thought it was a better response but I was not taking it. They offered to replace the dish but we politely declined and they didn't charge us for the barely eaten food.

PS: on our way out we noticed that nearly every table had raw mango salad. It clearly is their best seller and worth trying in the first visit for sure.

Overall, the experience was good though I might need a bit convincing to go anytime soon.

Ratings:
Ambiance: 4/5
Food: 3.5/5
Price for two: INR 1500





No comments: