Search This Blog

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Kerala and Beef



I was in a small town of Kerala last month---Thrissur. While that place has nothing much to offer, a forced visit there for my sister’s wedding meant that I had to bear the entire trip and focus on the wedding. And then I remembered that one thing that Kerala does offer that I am yet to experience in other cities in India ---some of the best beef preparations ever.

My general rule when I visit any small town is to stick to the local cuisine. However, finding myself in Lulu Convention Center (I hate that godawful name) one afternoon, I felt a little brave and ordered a well-done beef steak with pepper sauce. The others at the table ordered a seafood platter and roasted chicken. The roasted chicken was made fairly well but nothing that was memorable. The seafood was a whole lot better except for the tad overcooked squid. The best dish, however, I am happy to say was the beef steak. The pepper sauce was not hot but had a nice depth to it. The food does cater to the mix (usually NRI) crowd and it does cater well. 

Finishing off lunch with some amazing coffee that they have, is highly recommended.

PS: I liked that though it took them 15 minutes to bring our lunch to the table, they brought all plates together; thus, saving any one of us the “waiting-for-others-while-watching-the-food-grow-cold” moment.

No comments: