Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sarvana Bhavan, Janpath, CP, New Delhi



This comes as shock to most people that despite being a malayalee, I am not a fan of south Indian cuisine. Since my mother had spent a good part of her growing up years abroad and my father growing up in Haryana, we always had a wide variety of cuisine at our dining table. Rogan Ghosht one day, lasagna the next and aviyal and olan the day after; so, no, my dislike for south Indian food had nothing to do with ennui of eating the same/similar things day-in and day-out. And it does quite put off my mood when my north Indian friends decide that they all want to have south Indian (south Indian food is limited to idli and dosa for most North Indians). There is one place that I go occasionally and willingly and that is Sarvana Bhavan, Janpath, Connaught Place, Delhi. The proximity of this place to my office always makes it a good option for a quick bite and food is almost always really good. Like most south Indian restaurants, this place is NOT meant for dining leisurely. Sure, nobody is going to fling you out if you are waiting for your meal or for the bill but there is always an undercurrent of hurried business. It’s a place you eat and leave and if you want pretty décor, go eat elsewhere.
It may be that the Tamilian cooking appeals to my senses a bit more than Malayalee, but one can order almost anything from the menu sans fear. My favorite, however, is the Onion Rawa Masala Dosa *slurp* that teams up very well with the dhaniya, tomato and coconut chutneys they serve along with sambhar. The only item that appalled me was the dahi vada. The dahi vada they serve is sweet and not salty like it is in other parts of the country. I initially thought they got the wrong order but the “replaced” order tasted exactly the same :(
A tradition that most people who stop for a meal here follow is to end their meal with a nice cup of filter coffee…served in a small metal tumbler on a small metal bowl. For those who are not aware of why it is being served so, one is supposed to pour a bit of the sugar-less, piping hot coffee into the bowl, add sugar and then pour it into the glass and back to the bowl and then back again to the cup till the sugar dissolves. It’s an experience that most of my colleagues from other countries find fascinating and happily practice on their second trip to Sarvana Bhavan (see proof below).

Ok, I’ll admit. I agree to eat there just so that I get to play with my yummy coffee later. Judging by the behaviour of those around me and by the fact that I don't really mind the food there, I suppose others would love to eat there for some south India "fast" food. For approx. INR 200 for a  nice filling meal for 2, it is a deal you don't want to miss.

No comments: